Exporting (Large Exports)
The archive system supports exports that contain up to 15,000 messages or 3.5 GB of data. To export greater than 15,000 messages or 3.5 GB of data, you can break the search down into more data sets and export those messages separately. In general, we recommend breaking the search results out by date range.
* To export all mail sent between July 1st and August 31st (20,000 messages)
- Create a search for all mail sent between July 1st and July 31st (10,000 messages). Export results.
- Create a search for all mail sent between August 1st and August 31st (10,000 messages). Exports results.
* To export all mail sent in 2008, 2009, or 2010 where firstname.lastname@example.org was the sender or recipient (85,000 messages).
- Create a search for all mail sent between January 1st, 2008 and June 30th, 2008 where email@example.com was the sender or recipient (14,000 messages). Export results.
- Create a search for all mail sent between July 1st 2008 and December 31st 2008 where firstname.lastname@example.org was the sender or recipient (16,000 messages).
- Repeat for 2009 and 2010.
Given that message volumes vary over time, it may take some experimentation to find the optimum time interval for large exports. Many users find that it is best to begin by searching for the full result set (even if it exceeds the size limitations) and using the system’s filter functionality to determine the best intervals (e.g. confirm how many messages would be in each export if I broke them out by week vs. month vs. quarter vs. year). After identifying the best interval, one would then create distinct searches for each, and export accordingly.
Export Timing and Status Updates
There are three stages an export goes through during the export process, and two export exception statuses.
The standard export stages are as follows:
The requested export has been queued for processing. User will receive email notification.
The requested export is being created.
The requested export is now complete and available for download. User will receive notification if the notification flag was checked during the export process.
The export exception statuses are as follows:
* Contact Support:
The system was unable to automatically complete the requested export. Both the user and supportwill receive a notification.
* Exceeds Size Limits:
During processing, the system discovered that the export exceeded the 3.5 GB export size limitation. The user will receive notification.
How long should an export take?
Exports should process in less than 4 hours.
What are the export size requirements?
Exports must contain less than 15,000 messages and 3.5GB of data. Learn how to break large exports above.
How do I know if the system was unable to complete an export?
"Contact Support" will display under ‘Status’ on the export page if the system was unable to complete the export. The user will also receive an email notification.
Why was the system unable to compete my export (Why is my export status "Contact Support"?)
For urgent exports, feel free the contact support for immediate assistance. In any event, support is automatically notified of export issues and strives to address the issues within one business day.
What security measures do you have in place if I download an export from the URL in the email notification?
If the user who performed the export receives an email confirmation acknowledging the success of the export, he will be provided with a unique url to download the export. He will be prompted to authenticate with his archive credentials before be able to download the export.